How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4264
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Is it legal to have not openable windows in your flat?

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Is it legal to have not openable windows in your flat?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: paddington
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: contacted the agency and ask to make them openable
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Thank you it could be possible they need to open under law yes.  A flat must have a means of escape in case of an emergency.   However, a window is not the only method that could be used.  Additionally a dwelling needs to be property ventilated.  Again if the windows not opening prevent this you could enforce them.  In the first instance I would advise trying to work this out with the agency if they are not willing to remedy this you could escalate your issue to the ombudsman. 

The court asks for you to attempt to mitigate the issue personally prior to intimating court action. Therefore, you will require to raise an official complaint with your provider, if you exhaust this issue and are unable to remedy the situation, you can escalate this matter. You will want to escalate this to the relevant ombudsman (i.e. financial, consumer etc.). The ombudsman can look at your case and evidence you provide, an undertake an independent review and investigation of the matter. Should the ombudsman see fit, they could potentially provide a remedy to the issue for you. However, if you do to obtain a remedy from the ombudsman or you do not agree with their decision, you can look at personal intimating legal action yourself.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.