MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

Can I build a small garden room for my son to use as a

Customer Question

Can I build a small garden room for my son to use as a bedroom without planning permission? There would be no running water, toilet or cooking facilities, it is purely to provide an extra bedroom to the house.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Barking and dagenham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Outbuildings such as sheds, garages, greenhouses and some other structures like garden rooms are also considered to be permitted development. You can build a garage or outbuilding on your property without planning permission as long as it’s of a reasonable size – no higher than 4 metres. However, do bear in mind though that outbuildings cannot take up more than half of the land around the original property.

There are always exceptions so it is always best to contact your Local Planning Authority for further details of planning exemptions for outbuildings.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.