TheLawLDN
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
116381621

My Estonian company works with Wise (registered in UK) and

Hello. My Estonian company works with Wise (registered in UK) and currently has a problem with receiving bank transfers. Yesterday I noticed that my Wise accounts are inactive but I haven’t informed about the accounts deactivation decision. Currently I can’t receive payments from client and pay for wages and other services.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: My company is registered in Estonia. I’m the only shareholder - citizen of Armenia.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No steps so far
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I tried to call Wise by phone, but no answer, also the same with emails.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Hello, I will try to assist.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello. Thanks.

Since you say your company is registered in Estonia, I assume you opened an account with Wise as an Estonian-based entity, am I right?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Could you advise what I must to do in such situation? Wise hasn’t notified me about the deactivation of my company’s account. I don’t even know the reason of deactivation. They don’t answer on my calls and emails. My company can’t receive the payments for issued invoices.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What steps I must initiate to solve this problem?

You say "I noticed that my Wise accounts are inactive": do you have more than a business account with wise for this company?

Also, can you clarify what do you mean that the account was "deactivated"? That you can't login? How do you know that the transfers can't be received?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I can log in to my Wise business account. But when I try to check my accounts' details, I can't and see a notification about multi-currency account deactivation.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the entity is based in Estonia.

Are you sure the deactivation is not only for the other currencies? In what currency did you open the account?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The account is multi-currency. Currently, I activated USD, EUR, and GBP accounts. All of them are inactive now.

And what does the message  say exactly?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The same issue with my business debit card. I couldn't pay for accountant services this month.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
34;Your multi-currency account is inactive. For more information, please contact us"

How long have you been using this account?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
since January 2021

As you say you have not received any communication from Wise before the deactivation of the account, what I can imagine is that some transaction triggered a security alert or that some event may have occurred, regarding the company and/or you, which meant a possible change in the circumstances.

Does this possibly ring any bell?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I think so. I noticed that a transaction done in April changed the status to "paused" but that transaction is done fully in April

Unfortunately, there is no other way to understand what happened than getting in touch with them.

You should send them a complaint, using the procedure on the website,

In the meantime, as you should have a mobile app, you should contact them in the chat.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That transfer was a salary payment to an Armenian citizen with a Russian surname
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
They disabled the chat, and no way to contact to them, only email

I understand.

It seems the issue is big then.

When did you email them?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
2 days ago

Well, I understand the urgency, but I'm afraid this could be not something that you sort out in 24 hours...

In the screenshot attached, you may find the contact details of Wise Payments Ltd. as recorded in the register of the Financial Conduct Authority.

Try to send an email there and say that your case is urgent and you have not received a reply to an email you sent to the default address.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much!

You are welcome.

Best wishes!