Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I adopted a dog last week who has been through multiple

Hi there, I adopted a dog last week who has been through multiple owners due to their original owner going to prison. I took the dog on the premise that I would rehome her permanently and it was communicated that she just needed a good home. I have now heard that the original owner would like her back at the end of this month upon release and if not, will report her as stolen. I'm just trying to do everything I can to protect her and place her in my ownership, although I have none of her paperwork.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have called the vet to get an appointment today to see whether she is microchipped or not. If not, I will arranged for her to be microchipped in my name. I have also insured her as of yesterday in my name.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else significant
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Ben. Sure thing.

I understand your query relates to a dog you have adopted. Who did you adopt him from?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Just waiting on whether you can call, if not we can proceed via message

Hi there. Unfortunately I am not available for a phone call at present but please do not worry as the expert that accepted your request should still try and contact you.

In the meantime, I am still here to deal with your original query in writing over this chat. I understand your query relates to a dog you have adopted. Who did you adopt him from?

Hi there, the starting point is that the legal owner of the dog has the final say on what happens to it and they have the right to demand it back if they want to keep it. I appreciate you were given the impression that you were going to rehome it permanently but if the people who said that and gave you the dog did not have the legal right to do so, they would not have been able to legally transfer its ownership to you.

Whilst it is unlikely that the police will see this as theft but at the same time you will likely have to follow the owner’s requests and return the dog if that is what they want.

Only if there is a risk to its health, safety or welfare will you be able to consider reporting it to the RSPCA who can then take it away and potentially arrange for its eventual adoption, where you can pout yourself forward.