Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I’ve been signed off on sick with mental health problems

Good morning,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I’ve been signed off on sick with mental health problems this is something I’ve struggled with for 2 years. I was off from March 17th up until 8th June. I returned to walk with the agreement between myself and my employer to initially work 2 days to see how I managed. After 2 weeks back and might I add I was struggling and told my employer so, they started to pressure me into doing my full contract which is only 1 more day than I was doing. I went back to the doctor as I could feel my health deteriorating and he issued me with a fit note to do 2 days. However work continued to put me under pressure and pull me into meetings the last one I attended I was given 3 options 1 being do the full contact and go against my GP advice, 1 was to go onto another site which they removed me from 11 years ago due to a back problem which is no better now, 3rd was to give up my contract and go on bank but with no guarantee of work.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: the results of all this additional anxiety has caused my mental health to go backwards. The way I feel about them I really don’t want to go back and work for them if they can treat me like this. I’m thinking of working on getting well and looking elsewhere for work, I’m also mindful of my colleagues working short staffed and we are a good team and feel like I’m letting them down. I’m in England and live alone on low income I couldn’t afford a lawyer.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven’t taken any as not sure what to do?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I really don’t want to go back but unsure about benefits until I’m well enough to look elsewhere
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello Ben,
Yes that’s fine

I am sorry to learn of the issues you have been experiencing at your place of work and I understand your employer has presented you with some options going forward. How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’m a single woman that lives alone and can’t afford the £43 charge which you didn’t mention

Hi there. Phone calls are an additional service, which is entirely optional. You do not need to choose to request a phone call as I am still here to deal with your original query in writing over this chat.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’ve worked for the company for 12 years with a 3 year gap to do something else.

Thank you, ***** ***** the circumstances what are you ideally hoping for please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
As I’ve mentioned because of how I’ve been treated with them I really don’t want to work for them.what could you advise so I could get benefits up until I’m well enough to look for a new job

OK so just to clarify your query, you are wanting to leave this employer and claim benefits until you are well enough to look for another job and you are specifically wanting to know what you would be entitled to in this case - is that correct?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I feel like I’ll be unwell for a while and don’t want to leave my colleagues short additionaly I don’t want to work for a company like this. It would be better for my colleagues if my post was filled.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
that’s correct Ben, what do you advise? As I think if on long term sickness they would probably finish me anyway

Thank you. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now. I will get back to you with my full reply on here; usually the same day and the system will notify you when this happens.

I should also make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I will be dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you Ben

No problem at all. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

What Government benefits a person is entitled to will very much depend on their personal circumstances and there are various factors which are taken into consideration. As all of these interplay with each other in various ways to determine their eligibility, it is best to go through an online benefits calculator, which would take all relevant factors into consideration.

The most commonly used calculators are the following:

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/

https://www.betteroffcalculator.co.uk/free

The following details wilk be required to get an answer through these:

- savings

- income, including your partner’s

- existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)

- outgoings (such as rent, mortgage, childcare payments)

- council tax bill

Once the results have been determined, there will be details on what may be claimed and how.

The alternative is to approach your local JobCentre Plus, which can discuss benefits with you and what the options are:

https://find-your-nearest-jobcentre.dwp.gov.uk/search.php

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.