GabrielP428
GabrielP428, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112518128

Thank you for taking my query I rented out a room to a

Good Morning
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Thank you for taking my query I rented out a room to a teanant the contract or agreement was for six months starting April1 This week he told me he would be leaving in two weeks and only paid for half of August His tenancy agreement started Apri 1 for six months which would be end of September I was happy to honour the agreement
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London NW1 Camden
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None That is why I contacted you I emailed him to say he was in breach of agreement
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He is a bully he demanded Ido no advertise the room meanwhile he had already signed for another accommodaiton

Hi, my name is***** am a solicitor in England and Wales with 9 years of experience and have worked in the legal sector since 2008.

This service is not instant, so please note that I cannot always reply immediately due to other work commitments. I look forward to helping you with your legal problem.

If you would like a call to discuss this further, please let me know

A call is a premium service that includes an extra charge.

Hi, I am sorry to hear about this.

What is the notice period in the tenancy agreement?

Has he paid you in advance?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Please call me
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No thanks just message
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Are you here

No problem. If he leaves before the end date, he is in breach of the contract.

I am here. It is not an instant service.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Am I entitled to his deposit
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He gave me two weeks notice and paid only two weeks for August
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
His tenancy agreement is for six months ending end of September
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He also asked for a copy of the contract after he’d been there a month and he blanked out the length of tenancy he’s an IT software developer
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have the original co tract that clearly states six months
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello are you here?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
just by message thanks
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Am I entitled to keep his deposit as he failed to pay me for even the full month of August and paid just two weeks when he signed for six months ending at the last day of September
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I understand you are busy so I will log in at another time to read your reply. Thank you for your kind assistance. It is much appreciated.

Yes, I am here. Please understand it is not an instant service. I will reply shortly.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I understand
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you

Landlord can make a deduction for:

• Unpaid rent and bills.
  • Cleaning, gardening or decorating.
  • Damage and missing items.
  • Breaking your tenancy agreement.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I understand and will await your reply when you have the time to do so thank you

You can keep the deposit if there is a breach of the contract and you are left short of rent payment.

But If he paid you six months in advance, you could not keep the deposit if he gave you the correct notice.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He did not pay the six months in advance he pays month by month this month he paid just two weeks and gave me two weeks notice when his contract ends on the 31st September
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He’s been a difficult tenant from the start parking his bicycles at the exit to my living room creating a fire safety hazard
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Using my front room as a laundry drying his clothes I’m on a large rack in my living room a communal area
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He’s not given the correct notice just two weeks
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
he’s not paid for the month of August just two weeks

In that case, you can keep the deposit because he has not paid rent and is breaking your tenancy agreement.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you I appreciate your kind assistance. Had he paid at least the full month of August I’d have been willing to return his deposit but having given just two weeks notice and paid for half the month of August he’s in breach of contract

I agree. You are entitled to keep the deposit.

I am happy I was able to offer some help. Thank you so much for using Just Answer. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them in this thread.

If you have other questions, you can open a new thread and mark it for my attention (GabrielP428) or choose me in the subject heading as your preferred expert from your membership page.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I thought so but needed reassurance so thank you for confirming it’s much appreciated

You are most welcome.

Thank you so much for your positive rating!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
You're most welcome you deserve the rating, your an excellent lawyer. Have a nice afternoon.
Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Good morning Gabriel are you familiar with law concerning housing? I own an apartment managed by Camden Council who have been placing very anti social tenants in this block. Last year they housed a man in his late 70's who is senile and regularly sets off the fire alarms when he goes out and leave pots on his cooker. His previous apartment was burnt to the ground when he fell asleep while smoking in bed, He arrived to this block with no furniture. Hw is a firl risk
Good morning. I assume the council are aware of that?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This year they housed a man who has mental issues and has a violent personality. Last Monday night he tried to kick down the door of my next door neighbour and threatened to kill her. Several neighbours called the police and he was arrested. They released him on Wednesday and he again went to her apartment kicking at her door shouting threat to kill her.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The housing manager is fully aware of this frightening behaviour but refuses to move him. My neighbour the victim called the council the tenant's associaition and the police so they are all fully aware The h
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The housing manager says 'there are many factors to consider we do not just evict' But this man is crazy and has a violent character. He regularly rants andd raves on his balcony and we are all scared
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is there anything we as owners and tenants can do to have this man removed to secure acommodation where he can be medicated if needed and observed he is beyond therapy
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do you think perhaps the Housing Ombudsman could assist us
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My neigbour who was attacked has now moved out in fear for her life
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She says she will never return to this block
If there are many complaints and evidence of bad or dangerous behaviour the council has to get an anti-social behaviour order against him (Asbo) via the court.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The local paper will not cover it because they are in the pockets of the local council which partly funds them in return for positive publicity
You have to put pressure on the housing officer and send him/her all the evidence.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** will ask my neighbours to make a complaint to the council preferably not the housing manager as she is new to the job and does not want to rock the boat she is on a good salary and wants no scandal. But how low before he does carry our his threat to kill a woman
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My neighbour next door filmed the attack through her door camera but refuses to send the evidence as she says he is 'too dangerous' despite me assuring her her name would not be mentioned
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you Gabriel I will ask my neighbours to send any evidence they have and to put pressure on the housing manager.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you once again Gabriel for your helpful advice and have a lovely day.
You are welcome.