Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My daughter has had her passport taken off her by police

My daughter has had her passport taken off her by police because her boyfriend has been detained on drug that was found in the house that they shared she has not known about but we are now being ask for £125.000 pounds to get her passport back she was tested for drugs which came back clear and there was nothing on her phone connecting her to any involvement she in Bali with friends we are being asked to pay the money for her to get her passport back and her partner to get a lesser jail sentence please can you advise
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the uk she is in Bali what we are being told is that the payment has been agreed with the police and imagrstion to be payed off
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have sent £10,000 over too the person who has said his advising her as that was what was said they could get her off now they are saying that deal is off the table and he has agreed with a solicitor and chief of police to pay the money before any charges are placed on Sara if the money isn’t payed that they will pick her up and she will be charged with him and they say her will be looking at 16 to 20 years if the money is payed he will get a lesser sentence and Sara will be allowed to go home
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: At the point of him being arrested Sara run out of the house and went to her friends she was scared and didn’t know what to do they tested her for drugs which came back clear and took her passport then she ran off she has been to the police since and has been released we are not sure what we can do as we haven’t got the money they are asking for I have spoken to a lawyer who this person advising to deal with and he said he hadn’t heard of anything regard ind Sara but there are 7 lawyers that work there he was one of the partners he will ask I haven’t been able to get back in connect as the line is just ringing out I am not sure wether this is a scam as having spoken to Sara she has said she can’t trust anyone and could all be involved

I suspect this is just one big scam, at the very least it is likely to be a large amount of corruption. Do not pa anymore money and contact the British embassy in Bali to assist her: https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-consulate-bali/office/british-consulate-bali

I trust this assists

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She has already been to the embassy and it is a flagship office and she has been told that the main office is in Jakarta which she can’t go to because they are border checks that require your passport they have also told they would not get involved the anything connect to the police. The police imagration are all in on the scam the chief of police has interview her in a cafe and told her anything will be fine but then come back with this large amount of money to get her passport back

Thank you for your time on the phone as discussed you need to follow up with the embassy to try and get action from them. I trust this assists