GabrielP428
GabrielP428, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112518128

I have received a letter through the post from cms global

I have received a letter through the post from cms global collection services saying it is a final reminder for a considerable amount owed to a dating company interdate s a . I am worried sick that they are threatening solicitors to retrieve money owed .. I have read that this is a scam. That this company is known for . But the sum of money they are saying is huge.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what location this is in?
Customer: I am in the UK. But the letter is from a company in Germany. On behalf of a company in luxembourg
JA: Have you contacted the seller or manufacturer?
Customer: No I wasn't aware of anything from this company until today when I went to pay for unpaid postage on the letter. Which I thought was something I had ordered
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I may of been on this site sometime ago when I got divorced. But was not aware of any outstanding fees
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello Gabriel. Many thanks. I am just wondering if I need to respond to this letter

Hi, I am sorry to hear about this. Is the company based in Luxemburg?

Further to our phone conversation, You can use this template to reply to their letter:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account number:

Your account or reference number (required)

You have contacted me about the account with the above reference number, which you claim I owe. I am not aware of any debt being owed to you. 

I cannot recall signing to your site or being provided with any terms and conditions. You never sent me any letter advising me that I owe you money. Please provide me with a copy of the terms and conditions. 

If you decide to issue court proceedings without providing disclosure they will be premature.   

Please be aware that I will vigorously defend the claim and bring a counterclaim against you for my losses, stress, and inconvenience.

Please ensure to serve any proceedings on my home address and send a copy by post within seven days of issuing them.

If you fail to do so and obtain a judgment against me, I will apply to have it set aside and ask the court to award us the cost of the application for our legal fees.

I am familiar with the Financial Conduct Authority's (FCA) Consumer Credit sourcebook, which states the following."A firm must not ignore or disregard a customer's claim that a debt has been settled or is disputed and must not continue to make demands for payment without providing clear justification and/or evidence as to why the customer's claim is not valid."

7.5.3"A firm must suspend any steps it takes or its agent takes in the recovery of a debt from a customer where the customer disputes the debt on valid grounds or what may be valid grounds."

7.14.1"Where a customer disputes a debt on valid grounds or what may be valid grounds, the firm must investigate the dispute and provide details of the debt to the customer in a timely manner."

7.14.3If you do not stop collection activity whilst investigating my dispute, you are breaking FCA rules and guidance.

Also, ignoring claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment is harassment.

Please do not make any further contact about the above accounts unless you can provide evidence of my liability for the debt.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed  Otherwise, I will have no option but to make a complaint to my local trading standards service and consider informing the FCA of your actions  I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Thank you so much for using Just Answer. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them in this thread.

If you have other questions, you can open a new thread and mark it for my attention (GabrielP428) or choose me in the subject heading as your preferred expert from your membership page.

I am happy I was able to offer some help. Thank you so much for using Just Answer. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them in this thread.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Many thanks for the template letter. I will type out a letter and send it off post haste .
Kind regards ***** *****
You are most welcome, Mike.