ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

Sister is a social housing tenant, council have left a

Sister is a social housing tenant, council have left a vulnerable family with children newborn baby days old with heart defect. in a rat infested property and other disrepair issues been ongoing for 9 weeks they offered 3 days emergency accomodation to family was told to go back to property 5 rodents were found in.property and reported to them. Pest control had come out prior but were instructed by the council to treat for mice. Despite tenant (sister )saying its rat. After rats were found. All the senior managers are now trying to get all the repairs done as quickly as possible. Sister been bombarded with calls from pest control housing management and other subcontractors to carry out works. However its apparent that it's just quick temp fixes. Ie severe damp and mould issue contracter came in sprayed mold spray over it wiped it with a cloth and left. The council have acknowledged that due to works they carried out next door to my sis property workers made holes in walls and floor and created access points for rats to get in. Sister has sent over 20 emails pleading with council to find her alternative accommodation as she is out of hospital with the new baby. They said they have no emergency accomodation available and all the hostels they use are full. There is open rat bat all over the property. Pest control advised that property in that condition is in no way shape or form suitable for human inhabitance due to the amount of infestation in there. Letters emails voice recordings, doctors letters, pics. Have all been taken by my sister. Shes up to a stage 2 complaint. The urgency right now is for her and the children to be move out of there immediately. What are the next steps legally
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (4LG64VL)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi any answer for us yet?

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I am truly sorry to hear what is happening in relation to your sister. The council has a legal obligation to ensure that the property is fit for a person to live in. This is by no account the case here. As such the council is in clear breach of this legal obligation.

The usual course to adopt would be to raise a complaint to the council in relation to this. However, based on what you have said, this would have already been done. The alternative option would be to report this issue to your local member of parliament to see whether he/she could put pressure on the council with respect to emergency rehousing.

Outside of the above two courses, your sister does have the option to bring a claim against the council for breach of its legal obligation to ensure the property is habitable. Of course, this is likely to b costly as well as lengthy. As such, she would have to decide whether this is the most appropriate course for her. If she decides to bring a claim for compensation I would recommend doing this alongside any complaint that would also be made to the member of parliament.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thankyou is there any case law similar to this as we speak my sister just notified me that the managers are trying to offer her compensation. Which would imply that they have messed up. Can you point us towards the relevant housing law highlighting breach

Please see below guidance with respect to the law on the landlords obligation to ensure the property is fit to live in

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the nameCustomeras a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok great thankyou for this
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi in regards ***** ***** above case as her council has already admitted wrongdoing should she still bring a case against them as they are trying to do quick low budget remedial works. Eg. She has a damp and mold problem in the property one child has severe asthma they sent a workman in who just sprayed a bit of mold cleaner on the walls wiped it off and left. No survey has been carried out no tests have been done to check how bad it is and the source of the problem. This is what she is afraid of. If she doesnt take it all the way. They will palm her off with shoddy work and basic compensation

Yes she may still bring the matter to court for compensation.

The fact that they have accepted responsibility will be to her credit.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thankyou

You are welcome

Thanks again,

Customer/p>