Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

When a company takes over another company, does it take over

When a company takes over another company, does it take over its assets and liabilities also?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In the UK. It's two energy suppliers.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have provided them with evidence of overcharging but they are trying to deny liability. I've told them that in the takeover they will have assumed the assets and liabilities of the company they took over, but I'm getting nowhere.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can't think of anything.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experence delays.

Generally when a take over occurs the new company may also take on its past and present liabilities of the previous company. However there are circumstances whereby  this situation does not occur. That said the onus is on the new company to prove otherwise. Therefore assuming you do not get a response to your correspondence i suggest escalating the mater to the energy ombudsman as they are independent and can step in to resolve this matter.

You can contact the energy ombudsman via the site below.

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/about-us/contact-us

I hope i have clarified the position.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given. If you require further legal advice on another matter, please create a new question and tag @anthonychendo in the expert box. I will be notified of your request and prioritise it.

Thanks and stay safe

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you very much. Good plain clear answer - just what I needed.