ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I'm divorced, but am a joint tenant with my ex-husband. I've

Customer Question

I'm divorced, but am a joint tenant with my ex-husband. I've moved out of the property for over 8 months. He has not been servicing the rent regularly and that is hampering the process of getting my name removed from the tenancy. What can I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am currently in London. The property I shared with my ex is in Essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We've applied for a Joint to Sole Tenancy agreement with the Housing Association, MOAT. All the information theye
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: they requested has been sent and I'm doing my best to keep the account in credit while they go through their oen legal process
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 5 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 5 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 5 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 5 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I want to know if there is any other way fort me to get out of this tenancy? I'm afraid that if my ex doesn't keep up with the payments I'll be paying for two rentals. Or can I get him removed?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'd prefer to text. I'm not in a place where I can talk
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 5 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. You may approach the landlord about removing your name. You could explain to the landlord that you are now divorced and that you have moved out and as such you are requesting for your name to be removed.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 5 days ago.

If the landlord does not accept this request, the other alternative would be to give notice of your intention to leave the property. Your tenancy agreement should say whether or not you can give notice and if so how much notice is required. Once you give notice to leave it would be on your ex, to enter into new lease agreement with the landlord.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 5 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.
You are welcome
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the nameCustomeras a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Customer/p>