MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I have been subject to fraud through deception and need some

Customer Question

I have been subject to fraud through deception and need some advice
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Callington cornwall
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Lloyds fraud dept. but they are not very optimistic and the police. they reviewed my case and and then advised me to contact you
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I sold a boat with a good engine £1300, the next day he tells me the engine is a write off, to cut a long story short. it was all a set up. he faked a verbal report from a marine engineer , I paid back 800 to his account, the engine was on sale the next day as a good engine running. £2150
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I need to talk to a solicitor

You should report all forms of fraud to Action Fraud, the national reporting centre for fraud in the United Kingdom. The National Fraud Intelligence Bureau can investigate frauds at the behest of Action Fraud. They will also provide you with a crime reference number, which might be useful if you need to report fraud to your bank.

I am a solicitor.

What payment method did you use during the incident?

In any case, you can also use small claims against them. To make a small claim, you could demand the money back and send them a letter before action first - it would be a small claims case so no lawyer is required.

In this situation, a formal letter before action should be drafted and sent to demand payment within 14 days and say that if they do not pay you, you will issue county court proceedings against them.

You can use this form to make small claims: Form N1

However, if you can’t find the answer to your question, you can call the MCOL helpline. You'll need to give them your case or claim number.

MCOL helpline: 0300(###) ###-####or 01604 619 402

Monday to Friday, 8:45am to 5pm

Closed bank holidays

Also, if you need help with the N1 claim form, you can contact the County Court Money Claims Centre. You’ll need your case reference but they can’t give you legal advice.

County Court Money Claims Centre

Telephone: 0300(###) ###-####/p>

Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm

Email:***@******.***

You can also use this guide in making a small claim: Make a court claim for money

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.