MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

We have received a letter from our council telling us that a

We have received a letter from our council telling us that a neighbour has made a complaint alleging excessive noise from our dogs' barking. Should we reply to this letter in writing or just sit tight during the 8 weeks during which they've asked him to keep a record of any further noise?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not talked to a lawyer about this. I live in London, UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have read the letter. In an email the complaining neighbour said he doesn't want to talk to us about this, he's just made the complaint, so we are not in a position to try to mediate things on our own.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

In any case, did you receive an abatement notice from the council?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This letter is not an abatement notice

I'm not able to take calls at the moment, but the request is open to other Experts to help you. I am however available and happy to continue chatting on the platform.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Are you still there? Phone call came through but after the recorded JustAnswer intro there was no one else on the line
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm happy to continue this discussion over chat, if you have further information to offer me as to how and whether I should respond to this letter

Hi. In the circumstance you describe, I believe this is an abatement notice from the council. Once you have been served a noise abatement notice it means somebody has complained about the noise that you are making or that is coming from your premises.

Usually, there will have been some dialogue or interaction with the complainant before the notice is issued, however, this is not always the case and you may find you have been issued a notice without any prior warning.

In this situation, to avoid further action, the first thing you should do is reduce the noise levels or stop making the noise altogether.

I didn't accept the call. One of my colleagues has accepted your request.

I'd advise replying to the letter you received from them, if you ignore the letter - penalties a council can carry out include:

• A fixed penalty notice (FPN), a fine – up to £110 - that must be paid within 14 and an alternative to prosecution

• Prosecution – if you do not pay your FPN on time or if the council opts not to issue you with one, you face prosecution and, if convicted, a fine of up to £1000

• Seizure or confiscation

• Applying to the High Court for an injunction should prosecution be inadequate.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK we will write a reply. Thank you.

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further enquiries in the future. We are always happy to help.