MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I don't know where to start. Last August we had a gas meter

Customer Question

I don't know where to start. Last August we had a gas meter installed at our property. Our energy provider being Utilita. The meter worked fine for about 2 weeks, then a fault was recorded on it. Since then, the meter has not worked. We are pre paid customers and have an in house device to record what energy we are using. Unfortunately, this device has only been recording our electric usage, as the gas meter is not communicating with this device. Despite numerous and I mean numerous telephone conversations, text messages, e.mails to and from Utilita, this problem has not been resolved. We have had at leastc15 engineers out to our property, 3 I one day and still nothing. Engineers have been booked and have not turned up. The latest is an engineer was booked for next Tuesday, 9th August. I received a phone call today from Utilita to say that the engineer was going to be on holiday next week, so therefore they gave had to reschedule the appointment until 18th August. The mein problem is, because the meter is not recording and because it us actually low down in a box in the ground outside underneath the bay window, this meter cannot be read. We have put money onto the account, but this has not registered, so therefore we do not know how much money we owe for gas. I am really anxious as I don't want to be issued with a huge bill as it is going on 12 months now without paying for my gas supply. I don't know what to do next.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Neath Pot Talbot
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Constantly ringing Utilita to try to resolve this problem. Logged complaints with them.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Without going into great details which will take forever to write, so no not really.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 11 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return. 

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

To answer your enquiry, you should undertake to do the following steps first:

(1) Make a Formal Demand with their Service Representatives. Call their customer hotline and make a complaint for the damages you have suffered. You should also try to make a written demand (either via mail or e-mail) so that you have evidence that you have made them aware of their damages. You can use this guide to make a complaint.

Generally, at this stage, they would be happy to offer you compensation as it was clearly their fault. If not, you can proceed with the next step.

(2) Make a Complaint with the Energy Ombudsman. They have jurisdiction over these kinds of claims. You can use their online form to make a complaint.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I just received a letter in the post from them saying they have registered my latest complaint and will be taking steps to tryvto reeve the problem

That's great to hear from them. You should at least settle this matter with them first before taking your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your advice. I will wait to see what resolution they have before I take this to the Ombudsman.

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further enquiries in the future. We are always happy to help.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.