AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

I wanted to find out if my current visa allows me to apply

Customer Question

I wanted to find out if my current visa allows me to apply for indefinite leave when it’s expired next year
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in London and my current visa is on the 10 years route parent and private life
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No, I haven’t
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so at the moment
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 12 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialize in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately, I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Can I ask what is your current visa?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
This is my current visa
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I read that you can apply for indefinite leave is a new law started this year In June if you have a visa on private life in UK. I’m not sure if I got that right though. May be I misunderstood the text/article

Yes, you may be eligible for indefinite leave to remain if you have a visa on the basis of your private life

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh, okay I will try to see a lawyer for further information and if they can take on my application next year
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 11 days ago.

Indefinite leave to remain is how you settle in the UK. It’s also called ‘settlement’. It gives you the right to live, work and study here for as long as you like, and apply for benefits if you’re eligible. You can use it to apply for British citizenship.

There are different ways to apply for indefinite leave to remain based on your circumstances.

You may be able to apply if you’ve been living here for 10 years or more. There’s a different way to apply if you have a visa that’s on the basis of your private life. Applications opened in June 2022.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.