Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have recently rented property and on the day of the

Customer Question

Hello,I have recently rented property and on the day of the viewing I have requested, without mentioned specific points that all maintenance issues to be done prior to my entrance in the property, as on as it was very clear that the house needed lost of small maintenance.In my offer letter the state agency wrote the following: repaint throughout, handymen workers (list to come what is needed to be done )After 3 weeks I have moved in and just the painting, on a different colour was done.
I have send a list of more then 10 issues, 5 faulty light bulbs, no water pressure in bathroom, broken freezer, lose door cabinets, Owen not working, broken window brackets, Can’t use them at all)After 1 month nothing as been done and they say the landlord will need to aprove all the above to be done.Can I request for a full refund of the monthly rent while all the issues are not done
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 11 days ago.

I am afraid not, the above small maintenance jobs would not constitute sufficiently serious repairs that the landlord has to fix them immediately despite the initial agreement about it. Furthermore, you cannot withhold rent without the landlords consent anyway. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Só I can’t ask for a compensation as it’s a breach of the agreement? As no maintenance was made as the offer letter states

You can ask for compensation if you want though I suspect any compensation would be nominal if at all. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The compensation I would ask is the refund of the rent while the maintenance issues are not done

Ok that will not happen, you might get say a few hundred pounds at most. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can I contact directly the landlord to request the maintenance issues ?

No you need to go via the agent if the property is managed by the agent. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Happy to help take care