Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have a spent conviction. I started a new job in April

Customer Question

I have a spent conviction. I started a new job in April 2022. since starting employment, members of our organisation have discovered my conviction and have handed this information to many other members, with the aim of me losing my job. What action can I take?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Derby, East Midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am about to issue a personal complaint against the organisation that this person works for, as he has also disclosed information to them to try to get my membership cancelled. This isn't directly related to my employment. apart from that, nothing yet as I don't know how to proceed
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I don't think so
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 12 days ago.

Unfortunately the fact a conviction is spent does not prevent someone finding out about it and telling people sadly. It is not defamation for example because it is true. Therefore, the only action you could take would be if a person found out about in the course of their employment and then spread it say as a HR employee in breach of their confidentiality duties. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. So my only ability for action would be against my employer if they use this information to dismiss me?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 11 days ago.
I trust this assists