How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17401
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Hope all is well, Are you agent, Are you agent, Agent, agent

This answer was rated:

Hi hope all is well
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Are you agent
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Are you agent
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Agent
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: agent
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Am calling regarding my bank Starling which has closed my account and this is the latest email,Dear *****iel,
Thanks for getting in touch,
As previously detailed the remaining balance will be retained by Starling Bank until further notice. We are unfortunately unable to provide a timeframe on this retention period.
We will provide an update in relation to the balance retained in your account in due course.
Thank you for your co-operation and patience,
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It’s been 3 months for them to restrict the account first and now 1 month closed
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am getting no where and I keep getting the same answer any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of this.

As they are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, they have to comply with money laundering rules and to ensure they have anti fraud measures in place.

They clearly suspect something and this is the result - there is no quick fix unfortunately and you only have one option in my view.

Given the dispute with the bank, you can avail of the Financial Ombudsman Service dispute resolution scheme - which is much quicker than court action and free to use. You have to go through a complaints procedure first.

You have protection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 here which means you have a right to expect a service (from the bank) carried out with reasonable care and skill. Furthermore, the account service should be “fit for purpose” and “as described”. If it isn’t then you can allege breach of your consumer rights and breach of contract.

You should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

You can make the complaint on the app or on their website so please do this without delay unless you have already made a formal complaint to them. If you have and 8 weeks have passed, you can contact the Ombudsman.

When you do make the complaint, tell the bank that you plan to report them to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) who regulates them. You can reach the FCA to report them on 0800(###) ###-####if you wish. It may speed matters up.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the bank which would hopefully result in a reinstatement of the account and full access to the funds. They can order the bank to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

Once you have their final response, you can make the complaint to the Ombudsman here :

Or by email:***@******.***

The Ombudsman will look at this case independently and will make a decision based on what happened. Their decision is binding on the bank.

The above is the only way forwards in my view, short of court action. A lawyer is not required - the procedure is set up for consumers and small/medium sized businesses as a means of alternative dispute resolution.

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Jim, that was incredibly helpful and truly appreciated,So they have no right to hold on to my funds and best way is to action the direction you have indicated correct ? Again thank you so much…

Hi, the money is yours so they do need to return it to you, yes though they can restrict access to the account temporarily - if they don't give you a date whereby this will be resolved then it's grounds to make a complaint to them and assuming they don't resolve this, ask the Ombudsman to step in.

(Apologies, I can't take a call so another expert will speak to you at some point)

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No problem thank you for your help and advise,

My pleasure, thanks