JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Issue with the car and car service, after mot car began to

Hello, issue with the car and car service, after mot car began to give a rattling noise from the front, gave it back and they fixed it free of charge after couple days. After that I took the car had it for about an hour and rear axle broke, which could of ended in a big accident limped my way back to the car service and they had the car for about month now. Once asked why the delay they answered delay geting the parts, I brought the part was told they needed, and got the answer its not that part, even though the manager said and even marked on the scheme. So by this day after a month still no eta on when I will get my car back. The service in question is formula 1
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: St. Albans
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Just phone calls
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Past couple days was talking with the area manager he didn't introduced by name, but the manner he was talking was as if its not his problem. I'm going of to work now please if there is anything we could do about it and how much would it cost. Please if possible get back to me on email***@******.***

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

The issue is, the garage has your car and they have a lien - meaning they can legally keep it until you pay for the work.

You would have to either get a law firm involved to write to them and put pressure on, or you will need to pay under protest so as to retrieve the car, and consider legal action after that.

I don't know if the problems with the car are due to their poor work or if they are simply fixing the car which had faults.

If they caused this, you can demand a refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 though the problem remains that they have your car and can keep it until they are paid. You could do that and send a letter before action to them afterwards to demand payment of your losses and if they refuse, you can issue a claim - which is easy to do.

You could use a law firm - which may be wise if the garage is fobbing you off, which seems like they are from reading your question.

I can set out details of consumer dispute lawyers if that helps - I do have a template letter you can use if this helps.

You could also speak to Trading Standards to report the garage but they take a long time to deal with these disputes in my experience due to the sheer numbers of similar complaints they deal with on a daily basis.

Happy to help further if you would like to have a think and please let me know.

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'll gladly pay for the the repairs, its just taking for ever i don't see it being reasonable with the time its taking, and I get the impression that they aren't bothered about it. I had to use uber for the time period and it costed me quite a bit, if this takes on for longer what am I supposed to do then? On top of that all the problems started after mot. During witch they check the car, and it all started from there, I just don't understand how they checked it, when I took it back after major defect I did ask manager about it what do u check during mot, because the rust and damage should of been visible. How can I put more pressure on them so I could get my car fixed sooner?

Thanks, ***** ***** is if you start to threaten legal action they may dig their heels in so there is no magic formula unfortunately.

A law firm can make an approach to them in a single letter which may help and I would say is your best option. It shouldn't cost much for a single letter - I will give you details of a couple of small claims law firms

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

My pleasure, thanks