AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

Can our landlord sell equipment we have an itinery for with

Can our landlord sell equipment we have an itinery for with our lease sell the equipment whilst we are still in lease thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wortley Leeds we allready pay 1036 to him we have itinery of the equipment with our lease we have been there 4 years in november now all of a sudden he says he is selling it which then means we cannot operate our business
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None as yet we have been threatened with this for months we keep the place nice spent money putting a boiler in as there was no hot water, no filters for the extraction canopy, we have fully replaced the floor and decorated throughout. His equipment has been in the cafe for years the coffe machine is obsolete for parts so if it breaks we have to replace. We were looking to sell our business and we have a buyer, he is demanding 5000 for us to buy it which is probably only worth 1000 because of its age. It is now going to be incredibly difficult to sell our business on we still have 13 months of our lease left
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that there have been at least 2 previous owners of the business and the equipment was used also by previos owners with the same lease which is 5 years

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No just need to know if the kandlord can legally do this

Thank you for this information.

Although a property is owned by the landlord, this does not grant unlimited right of access without some form of agreement with the tenant.

As what I can ascertain, the landlord wants to sell the equipment without your approval, is that correct?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Does this mean he cannot sell his equipment whilst we are in lease

He cannot sell the equipment while you are still in lease because the equipment is part of the itinerary attached to the lease contract. You signed the lease contract because it also included in the leased property, correct?

The first thing you have to do is to complain to your landlord. If you fail to settle you may write a demand letter regarding your concerns just to have a document providing that you did not consent him from selling an essential part of the leased property. If it remains unresolved, you may complaint to your local council about your landlord.

If your landlord still doesn’t sort out your problem after you’ve tried all the steps or if the council can’t help, you might be able to take court action.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
we signed a lease it wouldnt have an itinary list with it would it if the equpment wasnt incuded? I ask this as my business partner has mislaid our lease so unable to read it

But the equipment was included in the property the first time you occupied the place, correct?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the previous owners of the business , thank you so much

If that is the case, it is implied that the equipment is part of the lease property and your landlord cannot just sell the equipment without your prior approval.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thsnk you i csn stop stressing knowing our rights

I know how knowing your rights is a very important matter to you.

Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future if you have further enquiries.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.