How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6376
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

What would happen if I withdrew my statement which I made

This answer was rated:

What would happen if I withdrew my statement which I made with the police but they have bodywork camera footage. Can they use that and what would be the outcome in a domestic dispute?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have my statement and I said I didn’t want any further action and later on I told them that I lied in my statement
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, how are you today? 

My name is Lea. It would be nice if you could let me know your name, so that I know who I am talking to. I am going to see if I can assist with your query. I may need to ask you additional questions and it is important for you to answer all the questions clearly, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response for your specific legal situation. JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Please confirm that you have read and understood this message and then we can begin.

SASH_Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have read and understood the message above
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My name is Diana

Hello Diana

I am not available for calls as stated in my original post. If you want a call, then I will opt out, otherwise we can continue online.

What is your pleasure?

I can give you a response in writing.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I jus wanna know if I withdrew my statement about a domestic dispute can the police use the bodyworn camera footage to prosecute the person in question?

Unfortunately it is not as simple as saying you don’t want to proceed anymore. The English process does not work like that. When you report abuse, the police will arrest the perpetrator and investigate, and if they have enough information, they will pass that information to the Crime Prosecution Service (CPS) who are the ones who make the decision as to whether or not to prosecute the perpetrator.

Usually they will already have the victim’s statement, any body cam evidence that was collected at the time of the report/arrest, eye witness accounts and statements, and potentially medical evidence, or photographs of injuries. So even if you decide you no longer wish to proceed, they can do so without your cooperation.

You can of course notify the investigating officer that you wish to withdraw your statement, and say that will not support a prosecution, but that doesn’t stop them from proceeding if they believe they have enough evidence.

If you are the only witness, then the chances of the case being dropped are higher than if there are several witnesses, especially if independent, and other corroborating evidence.

I am sorry this will obviously not be the news you were hoping for, but it is how English law works in this instance.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
what would be the outcome? They want to speak to my partner about what happened and he thinks they will lock him up

I cannot say what the outcome will be - if the CPS decide to prosecute, the outcome will be known at trial.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the footage would be reliable event though I withdrew my statement?

It may well be - that will be a matter for the CPS to determine.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
if there was an allegation of criminal damage would that go on a criminal record?

Yes, if whoever perpetrated the damage is prosecuted and found guilty.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can the footage be questioned if the person who made the allegations withdrawn their statement?
Questioned in what way?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If it can be used to prosecute

Yes, that will be up to the CPS.

Can I clarify anything further with regards ***** ***** query on withdrawing your statement?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No thank you

You're welcome, glad to have assisted.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading of a new thread. Alternatively, once you have rated this question, you will get the option to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. Then, when you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law.

Please note that there is no need to respond to this message.

Thanks for using JA! All the best!