12826847

I have a question about sentences in the uk, To the uk, I

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a question about sentences in the uk
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: To the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I want to know about summery only offence
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I am a barrister with over 15 years experience.

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My question is if someone was to of shoplifted before 2014 and the amount take was less then £200 but they only got in to trouble now would it still only be a summary offence

Is there any reason you think this should come out now?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No but let's say I did something years ago and feel guilty now
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have some learning disabilitie and feel guilty about past action they are only small but worry me still
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry if this is an odd question just something that worries me

Its very unlikely to come to attention now. They don’t really prosecute stale offences of shoplifting.

Also, the merchant would have no interest in this.

Its not going to be an issue.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much for your answer you have helped me alot I have one last thing If that's ok if the merchant was a university library it was a book take years ago still something not very valuable well below £200 do you think the same would apply?

They aren't really a merchant.

But you will not be the first student to have stolen books.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
do you still think it's unlikely it would be prosecuted now ? very sorry to be a bother with all this I promise not to take anymore of your time

No, you are not likely to be prosecuted.

You can always return the book.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I did in secret but it was meny years later on I am sorry it this all sounded a bit silly I was just feeling guilty I worry maybe someone want that book and they couldn't get it because I took it and it makes me feel bad sometimes I try my best to be a decent person now but have some regrets of the past thank you very much for your answer it's a big help

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem.

If you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JoC

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will do that thank you very much and good bye Jo

Welcome.