How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4256
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have a 29 year old son who has Autism. His mum(no longer

Customer Question

I have a 29 year old son who has Autism. His mum(no longer my wife 2 husbands ago) has stage 4 cancer and my son totally depends on her. Her new Husband has made noises about moving my son into a home now. As far as I am aware they have made no provision for Sam at all. I have been astranged from Sam for over 10 years, although we talk he wants to stay near his sister my daughter Carly. is there any way I can diplomatically find out what can be Done for Sam as and when the time comes. I have been onto the Autistic society 3 times and left messages seeking advice and I am getting no where. I really want to get ahead of this without upsetting the apple cart. can you help?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the Isle of Wight and my ex-wife lives with Sam and her new husband in Kenlet Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have sort advice from the Autistic society. I haven't contacted social services because I know there are arrangements in place for now but no arrangements when his mum has passed. My Daughter has confirmed there is no arrangements made
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not really I am retired on the Isle of Wight My son and I get on OK now but its small steps after a long time astranged.
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

Thank you I am just looking at this for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about this, matter!  Can you tell me what you would like to achieve ultimately?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Many thanks Can you tell me what he is entitled to through social services ie housing allowance long term disability (which I believe he already receives) or any other benefits so we can start to put a budget together for him?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 3 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about your ailments. However, it may well be the case you (he) are entitled to more benefits than you are aware. The difficulty is that you require to apply for specific benefits to the DWP and wait for the application etc. However, the best thing to do is drop into your local citizens advice bureau (CAB). They can go through your personal and financial position in detail and enter these details into what is referred to as the QBC system. This system will calculate what benefits you are entitled to and how much. The system will also do the entire calculation without contacting the DWP so no other benefits would be affected in doing this calculation. Furthermore, if you are rejected initially for any such benefits, the CAB can help you with the mandatory reconsider (appeal) of the refusal. If this is still rejected but it is believed you have a claim, the CAB can also provide you with representation should you require to go to a tribunal for the matter.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.