How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17441
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My grandmothers property was damaged last night by a driver

Customer Question

Hi there.
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My grandmothers property was damaged last night by a driver of DPD. he company are claiming that it is a civil claim between us and the driver.please could you advise me on this?
JA: Where are the driver? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are in cardiff, south wales
JA: What steps have the driver taken so far?
Customer: The driver has not taken any steps as it should be a buisness insurance dealing with it. The police were involved and the driver was speeding at the time.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We have spoken to DPD today and they have said they will not take responsibility even though it was their company vehicle.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Sorry to hear of this.

The employer is vicariously liable for the acts of an employee.

The vehicle will be insured so you would need to contact their insurer to make a claim for repairs.

I don't know if you have the vehicle reg but you mentioned the Police were involved so there will be a report which will have those details.

Please therefore perform a Motor Insurer's Database (MID) search for the insurer details on this site :

That will come up with the vehicle insurer and their policy number - you simply call them and tell them about the accident and that you want them to cover the repair bill.

It would be DPD's insurer liable for this as like I say, the employer is vicariously liable for any acts of negligence.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much for your assistance, this has really helped with the issue and I will follow through with what you have advised.
Thanks again.
Geneen Newman
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

My pleasure, thanks again