MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I would like to apply for a family visa, I live in the UK.

Customer Question

I would like to apply for a family visa
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in the UK. This application is for my mother and sister, not sure where to go to start the application.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the family visa?
Customer: not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They both live in Portugal, but they are originally from São Tomé and Príncipe
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Martin, thank you for replying. I am trying to apply for a visa for my mother and sister to join me in the Uk. They both live in Portugal and have Portuguese citizenship that they have to renew after a while. If you have any questions about anything else let me know.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

My apologies. I forgot to send my answer.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

To answer your question, the visa your mother/sister applies for depends on your situation. She can work or study if her application is successful.

Your mother/sister may be able to apply for a family visa if you are:

• a British citizen

• settled in the UK (called having ‘indefinite leave to remain’)

• has settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

• has a Turkish worker or businessperson visa

or: -

Your mother/sister may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme instead of applying for a visa. You must:

• be a citizen of an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein (or a British citizen who lived with you in one of these countries)

• have been living in the UK by 31 December 2020

• have settled or pre-settled status

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Where do I start the family Visa application? The link you added takes me through the information but I can see a Start application button.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.