How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 82083
Experience:  Over 15 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have dropped charges against my partner but they are

Customer Question

I have dropped charges against my partner but they are keeping bail conditions in place can I stop this?
JA: What are the exact charges?
Customer: Domestic assault
JA: Where are you located? Bail bond laws vary by location.
Customer: Wrexham
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing else
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I am a barrister with over 15 years experience.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 days ago.

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
That’s fine thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 days ago.

I’m afraid they can be very heavy handed now. It is not really in the public interest in my view.

They will almost certainly summons you if you are not already. Their current policy is to summons reluctant witnesses.

If you attend court and resile from your statement they will just put your original statement to you hearsay

The only real option is to stay away although they may try to introduce your statement hearsay but it is weaker then. But equally they may get a summons and arrest you on a witness warrant.

That said, you may be in luck and they may let you retract.

If there are children in the house, social services will very probably investigate though.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 days ago.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.


Customer: replied 4 days ago.
An officer is coming to see me tomorrow for a statement to sign for me to drop the charges but his bail conditions are to not contact me or come within 100 meters of my house I just wanted to know as I will have officially dropped the charges tomorrow is there a way around being able to have contact as we have 2 children together and very hard and have no one to help sort them via a 3rd party
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 days ago.

He isn't seeing you about dropping the charges.

All he is doing is taking a retraction statement.

you cannot drop charges.

The police are not relationship mediators.  They are evidence gatherers for the CPS.  If you don't want to support a prosecution, the thing to do is not to report the offence.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I understand that. Thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 days ago.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem.

If you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JoC

Thanks again,