How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7919
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I booked a online education course with a provider who gave

Customer Question

I booked a online education course with a provider who gave me monthly installments on a fixed term loan agreement. I changed courses to a lower priced course after two months. now the provider is saying I must pay the original fixed term loan agreement for course A which will be used to pay for course B (new course) and any credit can not be refunded and can only be used on other courses with the provider.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I originally reached out to the company as I was facing financial changes that would mean I would struggle to afford the repayments. They refused the cancellation but offered me to change the course or extend the payment terms. I opted to change course to a lower price course.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They did explain it to me in a a sense, however did not provide me with a new loan agreement for course B and I've offered to pay the remaining balance which would clear the balance of the new course B
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

There would be no need for them to provide a new loan agreement. There was no new loan only a change in course. They sadly do not need to offer a refund. They did allow a change and a credit to future course.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi James. But if the Loan Agreement was taken out for Course A for £4000 and I've been changed to course B for £2000 why would I be paying the original Course Fee.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They want me to pay the full £4000 for course A then they will apply the credit for the difference between course A and course B
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Basically for courses, training, education, etc, once started, refunds are not applicable.

The provider has agreed to allow a change in course and instead of loosing the difference in price has allowed that to be credited to future courses

Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.