AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

I have had use of some rundown piggeries and land to keep

Customer Question

I have had use of some rundown piggeries and land to keep some livestock for the past 15 years free of charge, at the time of lockdown I got rid off the animals but carried on keeping my stuff on the land , with out notice the owner moved some labour onto site and started to remove my stuff onto the side of the road, prire to that I had been told by arthe thatr they under stood I was had been given notice to go,the landlord has help him self to some of my property and given some off it away ,one item a trailor worth about £500 ,i noticed it was missing but some time later i spotted it in a farm yard in the next village I told the farmer it was mine to which he said Mr Clarke had given to him and I was to see Mr Clarke Have I any rights
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am at waldringfield suffolk IP12 4QL
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Mr Clarke is my nephew , when I ask if I could use the building he said help your self ,he never came near me more than half dozen time in all those years ,i have done some jobs over the years for my own benefit ,I am very up set at the way he has treated me,
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 11 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

To clarify, have you been given a notice to leave the place?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The only thing I have had from Mr A Clarke is you know you got get out , this was by tex and after his men had moved on site to move my stuff , prior to this i had only heard secondhand I have never had written agreement only verbal as fare as I can remember, just point out i have still go a lot of stuff on site
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The only thing I have had from Mr Clarke is ,you know you got to get out,this was by textand afterhis men moved on site to move my stuff , prior tp thati onlyheard secondhand, i have never had written agreement
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Alison have you received my last email as i am not sure about notice quit
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 10 days ago.

Yes I have indeed. The simple answer is “yes”, a verbal tenancy agreement is as legally binding (reference case: Johnson v. Patry) as a written tenancy agreement.

Verbal tenancy agreements are legally binding. However, these types of agreement are not recommended as the tenant and landlord can find problems occur, for instance with rent payments and deposits. Without something in writing ambiguity may arise as to what was agreed.

It will essentially be one persons word against another.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.