How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4328
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have a car finance which I haven’t made repayments or

Customer Question

Hi there I have a car finance which I haven’t made repayments or contact the finance company due to depression and mental health. I have only just gotten myself back on track and have a new job. I have contacted th car finance company and they said they are taking me to court for the return of goods. I want to exploit my option as I still want the car but don’t have a lump sum of the remainder due. I am able to commit to a monthly payment but how do I get them to accept this agreement
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the United Kindheit United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have called and asked to the legal assistant who sent me the court case and hearing date but it has been fdifgicult to get hold of him I have emailed and explained my circumstance
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he responded that’s my only option is to pay £450 a month and to complete an affordability income and expenditure form
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (L6S24ZQ)
Expert:  RJM Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 14 days ago.

Have they responded to the email above you have attached and if so, what was the response?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
They sent me that email after emailing him
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I haven’t responded yet
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The court date is the 10th of August and I would like this to be settled out of court with a signed agreement that is affordable for me
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi there
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Just checking if the question is still being looked at
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Thank you I am just reviewing this for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about this matter, the difficulty is that you have entered into a legally binding contract with them.  If you default on this, then you are in breach of contact allowing them to terminate it.  Therefore if they are not willing to accept repayment and come to an agreement with you they have the right to have the car returned to them.  If this is what they are asking I would advise doing it, if they take you to court to enforce this, you may also be liable for their legal fees in addition to the arrears.   If you feel you have a defence to this, you could potently defend the matter, however form what you have provided it sounds as though you are in breach of the agreement.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.