ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

Booked and paid for wedding venue which includes a cooked

Booked and paid for wedding venue which includes a cooked breakfast. They have withdrawn the cooked breakfast and replaced it with continental which nobody in our party wants (and one of us can’t even have). What can we do? They also still advertise cooked breakfast on their website, continuing to sell a lie. Thank you so much
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have tried to speak to them, they say they don’t have the staff. I requested some kind of refund as a result and am waiting for an answer
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no, I don’t think so
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No that’s it, that you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Cancel phone call
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry. I do not have the funds
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I didn’t realise the cost
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I cancelled this thank you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please continue via chat
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please can I get a response, thank you so much

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. Whether they are able to cancel and provide another type of breakfast option will depend on the terms of your contractual agreement. Your contract should say whether this is allowed and if so, whether they are required to give any notice for having done so.

If the contract is silent on this, then they would not be permitted to simply change their breakfast option and you may insist on a cooked breakfast or request a full refund.

They would be acting breach of their contract if they were to change the breakfast option contrary to what was initially agreed.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The contract was silent on it, meaning there was no mention of it but it was mentioned several times in other writing - it is still on the website as part of the booking. They say they cannot offer cooked breakfast any longer to any party from 2 weeks ago yet they advertise it still.
Thank you for your help. I’m not sure how to proceed with this moving forwards

The fees you are required to pay would be based on your agreement. If you have never been required to pay bills separately then it old be accepted that this was the agreement that you had in place.

Let me further clarify my earlier response. Even if the contract was silent, it could be taken that it was part of your agreement in light of the communication you have had with them so far. As such, they would be breaching the agreement to change the breakfast at this stage. You could therefore pursue a claim against them for this breach. I would therefore recommend writing to them advising that this would be a breach of contract and your intentions to sue if this is not remedied. You could also threaten to report them to trading standards for breaching consumer rights laws.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much. My final question is would it be possible to do this after the wedding if it looks like they won’t budge or do I need to give this in writing beforehand to let them know it is coming if they don’t fix it? What I am afraid of is that they will ruin the wedding day otherwise. I have sent so many emails to them and they refuse to budge so ideally I would like to send a letter stating I intend to sue after the wedding if this would be possible

You can do it after the wedding. You have three years to bring a claim.

I would recommend however writing to them now advising that this was not as agreed and that you intend to take action in the future.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the nameCustomeras a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Than you very much, if they do not resolve I will definitely be back to pursue through yourselves. . I have another question please, HMRC need to refund me some tax I overpaid on a business I closed last year. I have sent the requested p38 form 4 times now and they keep saying they haven’t received it (I have evidence via recorded delivery that they did so in fact they keep losing them). Can I press charges? Thank you

Thanks for getting back to me. I am happy I was able to assist. As this new question is outside the scope of your new enquiry, I ask kindly for you to raise a new question. You may mark it for my my attention, that is “readylaw”. Alternatively you may leave it open for any of our experts to assist.