JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I am been threatened by a firm called HidendaTax to complete

I am been threatened by a firm called HidendaTax to complete a form I started to complete on line and then changed my mind when I realised they required personal details from my wife and myself. They say that what I completed is legally binding and by not supplying the details I am in breach of contract. They say I must give the details by 15 Aug 2022 or pay £300 cancellation fee. Failure to do so will result in a Debt Recovery company being used which will result in additional costs beingb added. Help please. The contract was supposedly in my name and my wife didn't know about it. She is now very reluctant to give them her personal tax and income details.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Harrogate North Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Partially filled in details on line and stopped half way through when having second thoughts and they say that they have an electronic signature from me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. I have ignored all their pressurising texts so far

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

I dealt with the same question for another customer only a few days ago.

There are similar instances where there is no e-signature and as you did not sign anything, there is no claim at all. They are using scare tactics - threats of debt collection companies (who don't have any powers just to note - they are not bailiffs).

If you check this link you will see the problem: https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/hidenda-threatening-lettersemails-3857918

You can simply reply to them to say there is no contract in place and you will report them to Trading Standards and also the Police for harassment if they continue to contact you.

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
They say that they have my electronic signature

Thanks, ***** ***** signed it online then they may argue there is a contract in place. If you signed nothing then the implication is they signed for you (which is illegal and any contract is void as a result).

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Where do I stand if they have a signature

If you signed with an electronic signature then they will say there is a binding contract in place. I can't work out from your question whether you got to the point you did sign something online - it should have been obvious but even if you did, you have a 14 day cooling off period under consumer law.