Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

My claim is based on two flights. Both involve minors and

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My claim is based on two flights. Both involve minors and both involve Ethiopian airlines. The first is regarding my eldest granddaughter who was booked to fly LHA to Gabarone in Botswana. We had booked meet and assist as she is 17 years old and has never flown long haul before. When arriving at the airport, she was told the meet and assist was not available and she was on her own.she managed to arrive safely but to this day, the bag has not been found despite us tracking it down to LHA now. The second is regarding my second granddaughter whom is 14 years old and was booked to fly LHA to Victoria Falls and also we booked meet and assist and again she was told there was no service available. Her flight to Victoria falls changed in Addis Ababa and due to the first flight being delayed, she missed the connection and had no one to help her. She went to the Ethiopian airlines desk who dismissed her and told her to get on a transit bus and she would be taken to a hotel for 2 days to await the next flight to Victoria falls. After we, her grandparents and her mum made several frantic calls to Etheiop[iam airlines, they put her in a lounge until we could work out what to do. Eventually, she was flown back to LHA and they also lost her bag? I have a case number ***** Ethiopian airlines but they have not made any contact for several weeks and I want to take this further for a claim for the bags, the flight costs and the inconvenience. Can you help?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thats it.
JA: OK. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Hello, can you please clarify why did you post this on Just Answer UK website? It seems these events do not have links to UK law.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The flights originated in the UK.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Does that not mean they are under UK law jurisdiction?

I am sorry LHA is not a UK airport code.

Did you mean LHR for London Heathrow?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Apologies, yes I did. I am not an aviation expert.

I understand that.

Then, much better to call the airport by its name.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
If you Google LHA, Heathrow appears. Are you an aviation expert?

The airport code for London Heathrow is LHR.

The fact that by googling LHA the word Heathrow may appear in the results does not change that. And the internet is full of unverified, inaccurate and wrong information.

May I ask of you are still interested in getting an answer?

I asked about the code because I needed to understand if and what the link to the United Kingdom was.

Though this service is not for legal advice, we aim to be as accurate as possible and, if the circumstances are not clear, we must ask the customer to clarify.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Please pass me on to an expert.

I am one.

Are you asking to be transferred to another one?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Okay, then shall we begin?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Perhaps I should request another expert as the fact you claim to be an expert is very ambiguous. An expert in what would be my first question, Nuclear Physics perhaps.

For your information, I began dealing with your question 40 minutes ago.

But, also given the tone of your conversation, I am more than happy to opt out and another Expert will pick your question.

Thank you very much for using Just Answer.

Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Do you still need help with this question?
Hi, thank you for your message. Without an answer to my question I can only give a general answer. You will need to make a formal complaint to the airlines directly in the first instance. If they do not respond you can make a complaint to the civil aviation authority. I hope this helps. Best wishes
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer