Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I am a lodger and have a dispute with my landlord, London,

I am a lodger and have a dispute with my landlord
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no I rent a room through spare room close to my house due to my own house renovation. The original advertisement said £750 per calendar month. I agreed to pay half month rent as deposit. I moved in on 11th June. The owners are living with me and we share the kitchen. I live in the loft with a separate bathroom.Before I moved in, I talked to the wife through WhatsApp. I told her I am happy to stay for a min. of 2 months then we will see. She said no problem. At no point she said I need to pay rent on weekly basis or anything like that.
I paid rent monthly twice on 11th June and 11 July. First payment including £375 deposit and second rent is £750 as per agreed.On On 8th the husband asked me when I will move out. I said I am eligible to stay until 10th Aug. He said no, they actually calculated the rent on weekly basis and each month only has 4 weeks. So the rent is 175 per week. According to his calculation, I am short of rent. They will deduct £160 (I told her £175 was too expensive) from my deposit. I then talked to him and said I checked on line, even if I was charged on weekly basis, it should be 4.3 weeks per month. It is unfair to me, and I haven’t been noticed anytime. His wife WhatsApp me and said in her advisement, she said short-term rent is a completely different matter and they can charge rent weekly or even daily (they took the advertisement off already).I am going to move out on 6th Aug and I feel quite concerned if they will find more excuses not to return my deposit. I am thinking about going to small court for this matter and would appreciate you opinion.

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

So the advert says per calendar month?

and she is now deciding what 'short term' means?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The thing is that she took the advertisement off
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But I have WhatsApp conversation and I always pay her on monthly basis

A calendar month is a calendar month. January February March et cetera. Not every 4 weeks.

However as you’re only a lodger, they can change the rules by giving you notice and if you are paying rent monthly, that would be one months notice.

If you had committed to 2 months then they would be able to change the rules at the end of two months. I’m not convinced however that if you said “I am happy to stay for a minimum of two months” commits you all them to 2 months.

If they don’t return your deposit, then take them to the Small Claims Court. The worst you could lose is the court fee.