How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlisonSolicitor Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 309
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
AlisonSolicitor is online now

I attended my British citizenship ceremony today and gave to

This answer was rated:

I attended my British citizenship ceremony today and gave to return my residence permit but need to travel abroad urgently. Can I apply for an emergency travel document?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: No steps taken yet and no paperwork filed. Live in the uk. Now have dual citizenship UK & South Africa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, just need advice whether I can travel to South Africa urgently

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialize in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately, I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Yes. you can apply for an emergency travel document

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have not applied for my British citizenship yet as i only attended the citizenship ceremony today

I see, once you have attended the citizenship ceremony or received your certificate of British citizenship you cannot hold onto the BRP and travel with it once you. You will instead need to be in possession of a British passport or Right of Abode Certificate to enter the UK.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What is my best option: right of abode certificate or emergency travel document?

Well, once you have applied for British Citizenship, you can travel outside the UK with an emergency travel document
while your application is being considered since you only attended the citizenship ceremony. it's best for the right of abode certificate.

i'm not able to take calls at the moment, but the request is open to other Experts to help you. I am however available and happy to continue chatting on the platform.

AlisonSolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
tell me are available when you are not!!!
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What is the best option? Right of abode certificate or travel document.

I can see you have now received the call.

I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.