ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

Afternoon. Am considering a civil partnership. My partner

Afternoon. Am considering a civil partnership. My partner and I have been together for a number of years and would now like to make it official. We do not want a wedding. Please can you advise as to what a civil partnership means for us regarding making a will, death duties and inheritance tax. As I own outright the home and want to be able to minimise these taxes as much as
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Live in England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No steps taken so far but will need to make a Will at some point. I have 3 children and 2 grandchildren.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Need the civil partnership explained first please the advantages disadvantages and making a will.
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Not at the moment thank you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Would prefer a written response so that I can take time to digest your answers.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. The only implication of entering a civil partnership is that it will revoke any will previously written by you. As such, once you enter into a civil partnership you would have to rewrite your will. This could be a jointly written will with your current partner.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
That’s a good idea. How do we write a will that will negate as much death duty and other taxes as possible.

The will itself does not negate the paying of taxes or death duties. What you would have to now consider is proper estate planning. For this, so persons opt to either gift their assets whilst alive to their beneficiaries or set up trust. If you opt to gift an asset while alive, your beneficiary would not have to pay death duties if you were to live for 7 years after the transfer has been made. And setting up a bare trust may also be exempt from Inheritance Tax, as long as you survive for 7 years after making the transfer.

I do however recommend going in to consult with a solicitor face to face in relation to this. As this forum is very limited in scope and will not fully review all the options available to you. You may locate a local solicitor to you via the below link

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you very much for your assistance. I’ll read this all again and have a think.
You are welcome

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the nameCustomeras a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Customer/p>