12826847

Just an enquiry please when my son is a category d prisoner

Good morning just an enquiry please when my son is a category d prisoner and goes to court for poca will he go back to category D after please
JA: What are the exact charges? Is this a first-time offense?
Customer: This is a first offence with poca yes his charges was for conspiracy to burgle
JA: Where did the conspiracy occur? Criminal law varies by location.
Customer: Leicestershire he got charged at Leicestershire and will be at Leicestershire crown court for his poca although he has done over a year of his sentence and we have put all the evidence forward to the judge to prove he hasn’t financially gained from the charge but it’s been adjourned twice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it’s also up for contestment if that makes sense I may have pronounced that wrong

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I have been a practising criminal law barrister for over 12 years.

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

Has he got any previous please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He had a previous conviction yes for a different offence
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Not previous poca though
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
6 years ago his previous offence was in 2015
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’m not good on a phone call sorry I prefer to message it’s easier for me
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello jo are you still here please
Please give me time to respond

what would you like to know?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I would like to know if my son once in a category D if he goes to court for poca will he go back to a category D prison after please

No I’m afraid he will almost certainly be category b initially and then reduced down accordingly.  Almost all prisoners start off as b and are reassessed

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’m confused as he’s done over a year and he’s just going to a category d but his poca case keeps on getting adjourned and it’s up for contestment as his done section a section 17 with his explanation letter
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He only has 11 months left

Do you mean the poca arising from the orginal case?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He got sentenced in 2021 and the poca case has arisen from this one his in a cat c going to a cat d but his been up for his poca and his had to do his section 17 and a letter of explanation for contesting it but it has since been adjourned twice and he just wanted to know as he’s going to category d in September if he has to attend court for the poca that’s ongoing and being contested will he return back to his category d from court

In that case it shouldn’t lead to a further sentence

But he may not go back to the same prison and then may be cat b short term

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hopefully the poca gets dropped as we have provided all evidence of proof that has been requested by the judge
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Is that a possibility also

It is but you can’t rely on that

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yeah I understand this but it’s a hope isn’t it Thankyou for you’re help

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification. Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem. If you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JoC Thanks again