Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My friend is a maintenance joiner In a hospital. Hdoes have

My friend is a maintenance joiner In a hospital. Hdoes have Rheumatoid Arthritis. His doctor has given him a sick line for 2 weeks - not because of his Rheumatoid -but he had a vomiting bug last week and was feeling weak after it. However that was Monday of this week and on Wednesday he received a letter that he was being sent to Occupational Health. Is that not a bit quick?
JA: Where is your friend? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: He works in Craigavon Area Hospital.
JA: What steps has your friend taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There could be a possibility of discrimination and bullying.
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
we will just chat for now
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok

I understand you are wanting to know whether your friend's employer has been too quick to arrange a meeting with OH for him, as he handed his sick note in on Monday  and received notification of this 2 days later. Can I just check how long your friend has worked for this employer please?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
20 years

Thank you, ***** ***** than this period of sick leave, how many days has your friend had off due to sickness?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
8 - 10 days in last 7 years

OK I understand and thank you for providing the information requested. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now. I will get back to you with my full reply on here; usually the same day and the system will notify you when this happens.

I should also make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I will be dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks. Send reply to my e mail address -***@******.***. Many Thanks.

Please note the site will send notifications to the email you used to register with. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query.

There is no minimum period required before an employee is referred to OH and it could potentially happen even after a day’s absence. The employee should try and remember that OH is there to primarily help them and to ensure that the employer is aware of the full health situation and that they are taking the right steps and implementing the necessary changes/adjustments to help the employee with their work, including return to work. Therefore, try not to view the involvement of OH as a form of penalty or detrimental treatment. Of course, if there are concerns about what they are doing and the information they are providing to the employer, a grievance can always be raised.

You can get a detailed explanation of the grievance process here:

https://www.acas.org.uk/grievance-procedure-step-by-step

In summary, an employee is expected to submit their concerns in writing and send them to their line manager, or whoever is nominated as the person to send grievances to under an official workplace grievance policy.

The complaint should include details of what the grievance is about, any evidence that may exist which is relevant and also what the employee wants their employer to do about this issue.

Once the grievance has been submitted, the employer is expected to arrange a formal grievance hearing, inviting the employee to attend and discuss the nature of their complaint. The meeting is also as an opportunity to ask for further clarification or information, as required.

Following the meeting, the employer will take time to consider all the issues and evidence and then make a decision, communicating it to the employee. If the outcome is not to the complainant’s satisfaction, they can appeal and get a second opinion from a different person assigned by the employer to consider the appeal. Once the appeal is also completed, that brings to an end the formal grievance process and there is no option to escalate it further internally.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank You. In this case I think there is some harrassment. Other workers are off and not sent to Occuptional Health. Anyway I WILL RELAY ALL TO HIM AND HE CAN THINK ABOUT A GRIEVANCE. Many Thanks.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Many Thanks
My pleasure
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Maybe not yet
ok thanks