Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I need help regarding a claim on my insurance- my husband

I need help regarding a claim on my insurance- my husband drove my car with my permission… I was under the impression he was insured to drive it. Anyway, he wasn’t, and he crashed into another car… since then I have been in contact with my insurance, and they have sent a couple of emails for me to sign an agreement stating that I will pay all costs to the third party… although they haven’t yet received a claim. I’m not too sure what to do as the email itself seems slightly strange. Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northampton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve had a few phone calls with my insurance… but that hasn’t got me very far, and each person I’ve spoken to have said different to the other
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have the emails if you’d like to read through first?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

If he was not insured, then usually the driver would be liable for any costs and not you.

In these circumstances, I would not want to sign anything.
I don't see how you are liable for the costs of his crash

So you do not need to sign anything yet - especially when no claim has yet been made

I hope that my reply helps.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you very much. Would it be ok to send you the emails I have received from my insurance so you can have a quick look to be sure?

Sure, but my reply will be the same. Its not your crash, its not your fault, there is no claim.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (5SS5QMG)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. If there’s anything further I’m more than happy to call to discuss to put my mind at rest and respond to my insurance

Ok - there is no claim againt you. As such you do not need to sign it.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. They have mentioned that I have 7 days to sign it… and then they mentioned a CCJ. Should I contact them and state I will not be signing it?

Unless you have had Court papers you can't get a CCJ.

Yes, you can say at this stage you are not signing it.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much.

My pleasure