How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlisonSolicitor Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 309
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
AlisonSolicitor is online now

My wife has an hungarian and uk passport we are moving to

This answer was rated:

hi my names darrell my wife has an hungarian and uk passport we are moving to italy in september i only have an uk passport will i need a permesso de sorggiorno to register for residency at the questra on arrival
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: none as yet no paperwork filed i live in the uk with my wife and we are both british citizens
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: do i need to
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thank you

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
no not at the moment

I'm not able to take calls at the moment, but the request is open to other Experts to help you.

I am however available and happy to continue chatting on the platform.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
can i have an answer to my question

Please bear with me, as I would need time to consider your question along with the details you have provided. Thank you for your patience.

Have you lived or stayed in Italy before 1 January 2021?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Unfortunately after Brexit, a British national who wants to live permanently in Italy will have to apply for a visa and residence permit.

If you plan to stay in Italy for only 90 days, then you wont need a visa and your UK passport will be enough.

AlisonSolicitor and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Will I be able to apply in country

Are you going to Italy for work or to retire?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Then the best visa for you would be the Italian Retirement Visa – for those who are able to financially support themselves without the need to work in Italy.

If your visa is granted, you must also obtain an Italian Residence Permit.

An Italian Residence Permit, also known as Permesso di Soggiorno (Permission to Stay), is a requirement for anyone who holds a long-stay visa, whether that be to work, study or to join family.

You can apply for your Italian Residence Permit once you have entered Italy and you must do so within 8 days of arriving in the country.

To apply for your residence permit you must follow the following steps:

  1. Collect an Italian Residence Permit application kit from a local post office, not all post offices have the application kit, you will need to go to a post office with a Sportello Amico counter.
  2. Complete the application kit and buy a Marca Da Bollo Stamp, this is a duty stamp that you can buy from a tabaccheria, you will need to attach this to your application.
  3. Submit your application kit at the Sportello Amico counter that you collected it from alongside copies of your supporting documents. Do not sign the application or close the envelope before you hand it in as it must be checked over before it can be submitted.
  4. Once you have submitted the application you will be given a date to attend an appointment at the Questura, this is the local police headquarters. Your Questura appointment will normally be in 1-2 months so you will be given a temporary residence permit to hold during this time.
  5. Next, you must attend your appointment at the police headquarters, you will need to bring original copies of all the required documents and the receipt and appointment confirmation letter from the post office. At your Questura appointment, they will take your fingerprints and may ask you some questions. Finally, they will let you know when you can collect your Italian Residence Permit.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
OK thank you that I'll act on your advice ASAP thank you for your time

When applying for your residence permit you will need to submit a number of documents, you should bring original copies as well as photocopies to your Questura appointment. The documents you will need include:

  • Four passport-sized photographs
  • Your valid passport
  • Documents that demonstrate the reason you are in Italy, this could include a work permit or school enrollment letter.
  • Proof of private health insurance

You will also need to bring all of the supporting documents that you submitted when you applied for your long-stay visa, these documents will vary depending on the type of visa that you applied for.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No you have been very helpfull thank you

Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future if you have further enquiries.