Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I sent section 48 and notice of quit to My commercial tenant

I sent section 48 and notice of quit to My commercial tenant but his solicitor is asking for notice of assignment so what is notice of assignment
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing I want to know what is notice of assignment
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

for background - how long have you had this tenant?

and why do you wish to give notice?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
He has been tenant from 1991 and last 3 years he is not trading and left the property abandon aswell he has allowed japanese knotweed to grow and he has no registered lease

And assignment of the lease happens when the lease is sold or transferred from one person to another.

The notice of assignment is the notice to the landlord that the tenant’s name has changed.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Tenant is not selling the lease or transfeeing But the tenant solicitor is asking from us notice of assignment but there is no lease and we had transfered this commercial property into our limited company last year and now we giving notice to evict so does it mean i the landlord have to inform the tenant that new landlord is my limited company in the notice of assignment and can i prepare it myself or has to be sent by solicitor

If there is no sale or transfer then there is no assignment. But there is because you’ve just told me there is you transferred it into your limited company so there needs to be a deed of assignment from whoever had it before your limited company. And yes, that means that your limited company has to advise the tenant that they are the new landlord and until that happened, any notice given by you or the limited company is invalid. In fact any notice given by you is invalid if the lease is now in the name of the limited company. It doesn’t have to be sent by a solicitor. The limited company can do it

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

No problem I’m glad to help.

Meanwhile, if you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Stuart