How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4962
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I paid cash of a service and the workmanship was poor and I

This answer was rated:

I paid cash of a service and the workmanship was poor and I allowed them to come back to rectify it but they made it worse am I entitled to a refund?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk 🇬🇧
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I allowed them to return to rectify the work ( resurfacing a damage shower tray) the finish was terrible and not fit for purpose . So far I refused them to return for a third time and requested a refund
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so
Hi welcome to justanswer
I am Readylaw one of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I damaged a customer of mine’s shower tray when a shower screen exploded in my hands , the customer didn’t want the disruption of a replacement tray . So I found a company on the internet ( mend a bath) and got a quote that I accepted (£390). They carried out the work and I had left the cash with the home owner to pay them on completion. She wasn’t happy with the finish but the guy told her it would flatten down as it dried ( it didn’t of course) . I complain and they agree to come back and polish out any in perfections. Well they made it much worse and the finish was glossy in places and Matt and rough in other.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. If the work is not done to the appropriate standard you can, based on consumer rights laws request for a refund. Consumer Rights laws provide that work must be done to an appropriate standard and if it is not, then you may ask for it to be repaired and/or ask for your money back.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have requested a refund and I’m awaiting a response, what do you recommend my next course of action should be ?

The only difficulty I envision with this situation is who would be the person who would have instructed the builder and in those circumstances entitled to request the refund.  The question is whether it would be the customer who is entitled to request the refund or you. This is however not something that is likely to come up in discussions.

If they fail to give you the refund as requested you may along with the customer bring a claim against the builder for the shoddy work. You are required first to write a letter of claim to the builder outlining the amount being claimed and why. You are required to give a minimum of 14 days for them to respond.

If they fail to do this within the requisite time you may then issue proceedings in the small claims court. Please see below link for how to do this.

An alternative option would be to report them to trading standards.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No that’s great thank you

You are welcome

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the name Readylaw as a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,