Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

We brought our pet turtle home yesterday after she had been

Hi, we brought our pet turtle home yesterday after she had been to the vets for a few days, they had to operate on her because her eggs were blocked in her system. We brought her home yesterday becasue she wouldnt eat properly or keep anythign down. I asked when we picked her up from the vets, if she could ge back into the water as normal she said yes. I found the turtle dead at the bottom of the tank this morning but still have £900 plus to pay, i feel it due to the vets, she has died, what can i do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bolton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing, other than this
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Im sorry to hear this poor thing.

I assume you have told the vet? what did they say?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
ive not rang the vet yet, i didnt know whether i should yet

Own very very close to my stepdaughter. She happens to be a vet so I run this pastor for a “second opinion”.

Meanwhile, I need some more information from you please.

Do you actually know what the animal died of?

Was this a surgical procedure or was it done with some kind of scope?

Is the vet specialist in this kind of procedure?

Do they know that the animal has died even though they still want the money?

Although it may seem callous, and I assure you it’s not because I love my animals, what kind of value would be attributable to the turtle?

My stepdaughter came back to me. I have to tell you that she does operations on all sorts of animals which would not be financially viable in private practice. For example she took a tumour from a pet rat the other day which would simply not be financially viable in private practice.

This is what she said:

Egg bound. Yes it will likely need surgery by an experienced exotics vet (not something I would do!)

Survival depends on how well it was at presentation and surgeons experience .

So there you have it from a vet. Was this particular that that did this experienced with exotics?

Hello again. If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months. I’m glad that I was able to help. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Kind regards Stuart

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you so much for all the information, the turtle is my sons turtle, he has decided to just let it go. We were told the exotics vet dealt with the turtle, i dont know how qualified he was or how long he'd been doing it for, we were just told the operation was risky, but she came out of the operation and was perky apart from not eating properly which he said she would do at home and yes they still want the money, just under £960.00. My son has decided to let them do an autopsy, he's 26 theres nothing i can do, but thank you again

I am so glad to help. I feel his pain. What I can tell you is that operating on any exotic is extremely specialised. I lost a parrot after a procedure some years ago. Anything which is the least bit invasive even if it doesn’t involve surgery is risky.

My understanding of this procedure is that it doesn’t involve surgery but more, manipulation. There are quite a few YouTube videos on it.

The problem with any corporate veterinary practice is that in my opinion they are more interested in the money than doing the right job which is one of the reasons my stepdaughter works in the RSPCA hospital because it doesn’t matter what she is caring for, as long as she is capable of doing it, she does it and cost doesn’t come into it. Hence the operation on the rat.

You would have thought that having lost the animal, they would have been a bit more empathetic with the cost.

What we will never know or rather what you will never know is whether this could have been avoided or it was just one of those calculated risks.

It also makes you wonder whether the autopsy will reveal anything and if it does reveal any kind of negligence, whether they would actually admit it.

It will just give peace of mind. I wouldn’t be charging for the autopsy so make sure that they agree to do it FOC.

By the way, if you would like to ask me a new question in the future, (not just clarification on this thread, then please just type @ (the at sign) followed by my name and you’ll be able to select my username to tag me in the question.

If you like, you can also put “For Stuart J only” in the question thread and then the other experts will know that it’s for me.

You can also tag me as one of your favourite experts.

Kind regards.

Stuart

PS: there is no need to reply as a matter of course otherwise your reply comes back to my inbox, thinks you’re waiting, and I have to reply again. Kind regards