How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17477
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Me and my ex partner rented a bungalow and the my par

This answer was rated:

Me and my ex partner rented a bungalow and the my par Partner decided that we should get a dog so we found a dog on the Internet and we purchased it in March he did a bank transfer but I gave him cash for a part of the dog he got the microchip in his name our address I registered the dog with Vets in both of our names and I have a pet insurance solely in my name my partner and I have recently split up as he is an abusive partner and he started being aggressive ihe kicked me in the back which I have reported to the police he was going to work early in the morning and coming back sometimes after 24 hours and when I came home from work on several occasions the dog had no food and water so I’ve been basically looking after the dog my partner kept asking me to leave the bungalow even though I had paid for four weeks rent but for my safety and the dogs I left my home and the dog is in a safe place but my partner has reported me to the police saying that I’ve stolen the dog and that the dog is Soley his can I be arrested even though my name is ***** ***** pet insurance I have spoken to the dog welfare people and they said it would be a civil matter and it would have to go to civil court is this true
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no I don’t think so

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

The law doesn't look at this in a criminal context - you lived with your ex partner and purchased a dog - you have evidence you registered the dog with the vet surgery and you have pet insurance too.

This is evidence of legal ownership for either yourself or both you and the ex.

It is not theft as at the very least you can show joint ownership - in the same way as a car for example (the law treats pets as items in the same way as a car).

It is not theft if you then take the dog - if you are contacted by the Police you just explain the situation and show them proof of insurance though I doubt they will get involved - they are very likely to tell your ex that this is a civil matter only.

If your ex wants to claim sole ownership they have to sue for a declaration from the county court, yes. But they need to show they paid for everything and the court has to make a declaration after assessing the evidence and speaking to both of you.

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you

My pleasure thanks

JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello again I have had a call off the police and I need to go to the police station on the 16th of august they want to see the proof of pet insurance and they said I can have a free solicitor to sit with me and then they are going to discuss my side we’re I have reported my ex partners abuse towards me but my mum is not aloud to come and support me on the abuse part is that right

Hi, thanks - I have seen this in another question and it's out of my area so another expert will assist you with it shortly.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you

My pleasure, thanks