james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am under investigation at work, with a manager, employee,

hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am under investigation at work
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: with a manager
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i am with a union
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

How may I assist?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hello, I recently joined a HMP Prison, as a prison officer role. They sent me for 7 weeks training, and on week 3 (last Wednesday, I was forcibly removed from the training centre and escorted out of the training centre. The acting manager had requested that i be investigated by my governer at the HMP Prison.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
if it were earlier i would call in, people are asleep next to me.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
hello do you require any more information?

What reason was given for this?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
1. I had bought a mobile phone into the premises.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
2. i made some remarks in class regarding race and culture, and it raises concerns in relation to protected characteristics.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
3. accused of challenging a trainer by referring to another as her superior
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
4. challenged a trainer and asking her accent is from then replied "direct and blunt"
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
these four points is what the manager said in about me.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
she requested me to be under investigation by my establishment prison, governer.

Mobile phones are prohibited item s in prisons.

Race and culture remarks can be dismissible matters, and depending on what was said and by who, could be criminal.

The other issues again can be matters of concern in a service job.

You should be suspended on full pay pending an investigation and disciplinary hearing. You can attained that with a union rep or another employee for support. If the allegations are found against you , then most certainly you will be dismissed.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Can I defend these points?

Yes if you have grounds to defend them.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have not been suspended. Do I have to work in prison if i'm under investigation?

That is up to your employer and what they want to do.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have been told to do demoted job role, as I can not work as a prison officer role (as the training is not completed), the only other jobs are demoted jobs, which is not within my job role, nor am I trained in those roles. I also have no keys and chain, it would be difficult to move around the establishment and complete such roles. I also need time gather information to help my defence. Is this within my rights to refuse this?

Yes it makes scene that they have taken keys from you, Taking a phone into a prison is a security breach. I am surprised they did not suspend you.

If you do not want to carry on the job they have given you then complain and ask for the disciplinary to take place so that you can argue your case.\

To be frank from what you have said I think you will be dismissed after a disciplinary

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I think your right to. but I am a trainee still. I repeatedly asked the trainer to arrange for a mobile phone locker. also the race and culture was in direct relation to a lesson we had the day before, about communication barriers in prison which included culture, clothes and language, I never intended to hurt a fellow colleague with my remarks, I had apologised to her but still the matter was escalated. The other two incidents about challenging a senior officer, I believe she misinterpreted me and saw me as challenging or not respecting her authority, this was not my intention at all.

So many issues of mis communication.

Unfortunately all you can do is chase for the disciplinary

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I will thank you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Can I ask you something, even though now I am under investigation, can i still make a complaint about the training centre, to the manager who has returned from annual leave, of incidents that happened to me? or is it to late?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
or shall i wait for the disciplinary to finish?

Yes of course you can do that, it is not too late.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
i will do thank you
Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.