Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

I was given a fixed price if £200!from a lawyer to write a

I was given a fixed price if £200!from a lawyer to write a letter to a builder who has let us don’t. I sent the lawyer some notes containing a list over events that had happened with the builder. He read through it and suggested we took him straight to court and not bother about the letter. We were not prepared to do so so we told the lawyer that we would not proceed. He has now invoiced us £400 for reading though the notes. We had a fixed price for the letter but this was not written due to his own recommendation. He is now referring to point 9.1 in the Client Care Contract. It states his hourly fees which we thought was information given to us in case we wanted to proceed with the court case. We never got the impression that we would be charged for him reading the notes. Just the letter he was going to write.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: This is about a lawyers invoice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: is this a free consultation?

Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online. You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so. Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

I am sorry to hear about this. Can you please let me know if you have any email/letter confirming the fixed price arrangement?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have an email.

Good. Then you can simply dispute the invoice on the basis of your agreement and inform that you may involve the SRA https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor/

He is entitled to charge for his time, but  again, £400 seems a bit stretchy.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.

No problem. I hope all goes well. Many thanks for using our service.