JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My solicitors took 2.5 years to complete the title

My solicitors took 2.5 years to complete the title registration of my property with the land registry, and from the application date, it looks like they only put the application through 3 weeks ago. They're now asking for money, which I had paid them when I initially bought the property in 2020, and for some bizarre reason, they had returned the LR fee monies to me in March of this year. They're now asking for an additional £195, for a total of £330 which looks to be the correct LR fee for my property for a new lease. Now, I had only chased them for the title register (first time buyer, I don't know these things) this year as my mortgage was due for renewal. I'm currently out of contract with my mortgage on a higher rate because I'm unable to confirm with lenders that I actually own the property since I have no title deed. So I've lost far more than £330 over the last 6 months, and I'm curious as to whether I take this up with the Ombudsman, I would have a case for the solicitors to pay me my losses (what I've paid vs what I could have if they had done their job).
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No steps, I had mentioned to the solicitors that I will file a formal complaint with their Compliance Officer, which coincidentally is the date they applied for my title.
JA: The Real Estate Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

I would say yes, you have grounds to involve the Ombudsman - mainly because of the serious delays and the fact you are out of pocket.

The lawyers need to carry out their service with care and skill - and they need to ensure you receive a good standard of client care.

If not, you must make a complaint to the law firm - they have to deal with all complaints and they should have a designated person to deal with complaints if you ask. You mention their compliance officer so they will be able to accept the complaint.

If that does not resolve this then yes, go to the Legal Ombudsman - they can be reached here: https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk

The Ombudsman will look at this case independently and will make a decision based on what happened. Their decision is binding on the law firm.

The above is the only way forwards in my view, short of court action. A lawyer is not required - the procedure is set up for consumers and small/medium sized businesses as a means of alternative dispute resolution. It is also free to use and quicker than court action too.

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Do I have grounds to ask them for compensation for my financial losses? And could I take that up with their compliance officer, or would that need to be dealt with via the Ombudsman?

You do have grounds for compensation yes - you would need to speak to the compliance officer first and give them a chance to resolve this for you (they have up to 8 weeks to do this). If you reach an impasse then it's at that point you involve the Ombudsman.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Great, thanks Jim!

My pleasure, thanks