How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2062
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

A builder has scammed me out of a lot of money. He was

This answer was rated:

A builder has scammed me out of a lot of money. He was recommended by the architect who did the plans and is overseeing the project. Do I have a claim against the architect?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have written to the builder asking him to account for what he has done with the money, with a copy to the architect
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: dont think so
Hi thank you for your message I will look to assist
No the architect may have recommended them or introduced them but the contract was direct between the builder and you. Therefore there is no basis to take legal action against the architect. I trust this assists
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Do you have any suggestions for what I can do?

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Just want to know how I can deal with a rogue builder

Legally, you can't take legal action against the architect but you can take legal action against the builder. In this situation, here's what you can do:

1) You can ask the builder to do whatever’s necessary to get the work done properly. They should cover all the costs, including any extra materials. Let them know you understand what you’re entitled to. What you should say is slightly different depending on when you gave the go-ahead for the work.

2) The builder should fix the problem within a reasonable amount of time, without causing you too much inconvenience. The law doesn’t say what counts as reasonable, so you’ll have to agree on it between you.

3) If they can’t or won’t fix the problem, you can ask for a partial or full refund. You’ll have to come to an agreement with them about how much you should get. It’s a good idea to start by suggesting a figure and explaining why you think it’s reasonable, then take it from there.

4) Make a complaint to the builder. You should check if they have an official complaints procedure. You can usually find their complaints procedure on their website - make sure you follow it when you complain.

5) If you have exhausted everything, you can talk to an ombudsman - they will look at the evidence and make a decision about your complaint.

6) Lastly, you can make a claim to the court if your problem hasn’t been resolved - this is sometimes called making a ‘small claim’. This will be your last resort.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2062
Experience: Expert
MARTINT330 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
no, that's good. Thanks

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further enquiries in the future. We are always happy to help.