TheLawLDN
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
116381621

Before we will start, is it free of charge? I'm in

Good afternoon. Before we will start, is it free of charge?
JA: The answer cost depends on the issue and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit. Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Leicester, miss.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Right, I have moved in yesterday to a new apartment and I don't have basic utilities over there - water and electricity. Nobody has shown to me how reset the meter or how to switch the water back in. After the call to agency and questioning them regarding to those issues - I got told that they won't be able to help me until Monday. So, the apartment hasn't been prepared before my arrival at all. Thus, I'm forced to stay somewhere else till Monday. What am I able to do in this situation?
JA: The Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: One more thing I wanted to mention - they have sent me an inventory list to go through and sign it ONLY after when I will do full inspection, however when I opened to go through - my signature was already there. I didn't put it there.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Hello, what does your tenancy agreement say about utilities?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I don't have an agreement with me right now to give an accurate answer, I'm afraid

What do you exactly mean about not knowing how to reset the electric meter or switch on the water?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I top up the meter yesterday and it was saying that it will take up to 1 hour to get it work, however it hasn't happened till now. When you open the tap there is no water at all and I haven't been shown where I can switch the main tap back on, so there will be water.

For the electric meter, if the landlord was supposed to top it up I would understand, but if the top up was on you and it takes time, I'm not sure this is the landlord fault.

You should have certainly been told where the water key is, but I wonder where it could be if not in the bathroom or in the kitchen? I mean, how big is this flat? Maybe there is a garden and the water tap could be opened from there? For sure the letting agent should have been able to tell you this yesterday, it was Friday.

As for the inventory, if someone put your signature on it that would be serious. Are you sure there is a signature and not just the initials where it should be signed?

In the lack of the clarifications requested, I can confirm that I do not think that the issue with the electric meter can be blamed on the landlord, while the fact that you were not told where the water tap control is could, assuming that the location of the tap in the flat is not easy to find or is not accessible.

If that is the case, the unavailability of water making the flat uninhabitable, you might have a claim against the landlord for the reasonable cost of an accommodation in the weekend, but you must be prepared to a fight because they will certainly say that you were told where the tap was and/or that the tap was easy to locate.

If someone forged your signature on the inventory, that could be a criminal offence, and, if that's the case, I think you should consult a solicitor for legal advice.

Of course, if you have not signed the check-in inventory for acceptance, you will not have accepted it, but you should be aware that refusing to sign for acceptance, and also failure to provide comments on the inventory even if you don't want to sign it, could be considered a breach of the tenant's obligations (this, of course, in case the inventory was not fraudulently signed by someone else).

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.

Regards.