How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2490
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
John is online now

My car has been in a garage for 4 months now they have

This answer was rated:

my car has been in a garage for 4 months now they have stripped the top engine off but have not done anything else to it apart from leaving it sitting outside their workshop.where do i stand legally
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in langley , slough berkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have supplied all the new parts needed myself . i have contacted them on a regular basis but just keep getting the same excuses e.g very busy , short staffed . on the 28th july he txt me to tell me we are getting on with it now . but as of today it is still parked outside and nothing has been done
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

John and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks for your message sorry to hear about this.Section 49 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 state that a service is to be performed with reasonable skill and care. Section 52 states a service is to be performed within a reasonable time. As they have not done so they are breaching your rights as a consumer.Legally speaking you can take the garage to court if the remedy you’re looking for is financial compensation. If you wish to do so, you should write them a “Letter Before Action”. In this letter you will need to state what you want done ie you want your car fixed, and advise if it is not done you will take legal action. Give them 14 days in which to respond. If they do not respond or fob you off then you should take small claims action against them. Type in money claims online on Google and you can follow the link to do this.Practically speaking you want your car back and I would suggest collecting it and taking it to another garage. In doing so, inform this current garage that the fees incurred in doing this will be invoiced to them to pay. Again if they refuse you can take small claims action.I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions I am happy to help.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
thank you for your message . i thought i would receive a phone call as this is what i requested .
I called but nobody answered. Please let me know a suitable time to call you so we can speak.
Please be aware the call comes from a withheld number.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
i have not received any call from anyone . im free now and to confirm my number is *****
I will try again shortly. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello I have just tried calling you again but there was no response. I will try again later
John and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
still no call received . would it be easier if you give me your number and i ring you . or i can give you my friends number who is here with me and you can try his number
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
i am still waiting to receive a phone call , i have checked my bank and the money for this call has been taken from my account but as yet still no call or reply to my last message
Customer: replied 3 days ago.

Hello thank you for your patience.

As discussed I attach a template letter you can use to send the garage. You will need to edit it, as the template is just an example.  An mentioned earlier the relevant section they are in breach of is section 52 Consumer Rights Act 2015  - Service to be performed within a reasonable time. I would state this in the letter. Section 56 gives you a right to a price reduction.

I would also suggest reporting them to your local Trading Standards office which you can find here

In order to take legal action should it come to it, what you need to do is write them the above formal “Letter Before Action”. In this letter you will need to state the amount you are seeking to recover and the reasons why. You will also need to give them a deadline to do what you want them to do or raise payment for any compensation, usually it is 14 days in which to receive payment. Do not forget you can retrieve your vehicle and send it to another garage and invoice this garage for the cost of doing so. State that in the letter.

If payment is not received within 14 days, then you will need to issue a claim against them in the small claims court. You can do this by visiting this site

Or you can do it by post by using form N1 which you can find here and posting it to:

County Court Money Claims Centre

PO Box 527


Greater Manchester

M5 0BY

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I really do appreciate your help and hopefully the problem will be solved sooner thanks again

I'm happy to hear I was able to answer your question. By the way, if you would like to ask me a question in the future, just type @ followed by my name and you’ll be able to select my username to tag me in the question.

Have a great day.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Ok will do thanks

Take care.