Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

my grandson has a i phone 5c and cannot use it as it says update

my grandson has a i phone 5c and cannot use it as it says update but have tried updating it and it says cannot update at all
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What version of iOS is on it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is 7.1.2 i think

First make sure you have enough space on the iPhone. If not, then free some space and then update. If that didn't work, you can update it from iTunes on your computer. This will work without any problem. Follow the steps below;
First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here :
Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.
Open iTunes application on your computer.
iTunes will recognize your iPhone . Select your iPhone in the top left (select iPhone icon)
Then in Summary section, click Update and let it update.
It will take some time to update the iPhone .
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.